Nuke experts blast Fukushima operator over toxic leaks

Huh? 2 and bit years too late. The sting is the denial of the continuous leaks since March 2011.
Implicit in the blaming of TEPCO by international experts is the false claim they know too much to prevent the same failure chain in their countries. Moot at best. Seeing as the design flaws were acknowledged by the AEC in the late 60s and fully discussed by Lapp in the early 70s. Seems everyone who read the papers at the time remembers, except for the nuclear designers and operators who did not change a thing. The technical fix instituted by the NRC is the compulsory siting of diesel generators at each nuke plant. Very advanced.

Millions of people around the world who have been watching the TEPCO live cam have known for the entire time that the reality as seen is vastly different to the soothing platitudinous lies issued by nuclear industry world wide up to now.

So a few experts are attempting to close the gap between what ordinary people know and see and the promotions arm of the nukers. So what?

The promise of the sealed source is well and truly unbelievable and starts at the mine.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i-LSjmcPUMSubo6k8JbOFQpds2zA?docId=CNG.ff9e3c461e9cafbd917fa4d5c59a1cd0.2a1

Nuke experts blast Fukushima operator over toxic leaks

(AFP) – 2 days ago

TOKYO — Foreign nuclear experts on Friday blasted the operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, with one saying its lack of transparency over toxic water leaks showed “you don’t know what you’re doing”.

The blunt criticism comes after a litany of problems at the reactor site, which was swamped by a quake-sparked tsunami two years ago. The disaster sent reactors into meltdown and forced the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents in the worst atomic accident in a generation.

Earlier this week, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) admitted for the first time that radioactive groundwater had leaked outside the plant, confirming long-held suspicions of ocean contamination from the shattered reactors.

“This action regarding the water contamination demonstrates a lack of conservative decision-making process,” Dale Klein, former head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), told a panel in Tokyo.

“It also appears that you are not keeping the people of Japan informed. These actions indicate that you don’t know what you are doing…you do not have a plan and that you are not doing all you can to protect the environment and the people.”

Klein was invited to attend the TEPCO-sponsored nuclear reform monitoring panel composed of two foreign experts and four Japanese including the company’s chairman.

The utility had previously reported rising levels of cancer-causing materials in groundwater samples from underneath the plant, but maintained it had contained toxic water from leaking beyond its borders.

But the embattled company has now conceded it delayed the release of test results confirming the leaks as Japan’s nuclear watchdog heaped doubt on its claims.

“We would like to express our frustrations in your recent activities regarding the water contamination,” Klein said.

“We believe that these events detract from the progress that you have made on your clean up and reform for the Fukushima (plant).”

Barbara Judge, chairman emeritus of Britain’s Atomic Energy Authority, said she was “disappointed and distressed” over the company’s lack of disclosure.

“I hope that there will be lessons learned from the mishandling of this issue and the next time an issue arises — which inevitably it will because decommissioning is a complicated and difficult process — that the public will be immediately informed about the situation and what TEPCO is planning to do in order to remedy it,” she said.

Decommissioning the site is expected to take decades and many area residents will likely never be able to return home, experts say.

Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserve


%d bloggers like this: